A student finds a syringe in the playground
A seven-year-old Victorian student found a discarded syringe in the playground. He picked up and touched the needle but it did not pierce his skin. Although tests indicated that the student had not been infected by HIV and hepatitis A, B and C, his classmates teased him and told him was going to die of AIDS.
After 18 months of counselling for post-traumatic stress disorder, the student sued the school for damages over the psychological pain he suffered as a result of the incident. The case was settled out of court.
A school needs to have a documented policy and practised procedure for the safe handling of syringes, incorporating relevant training, education and equipment.